Blog week ending 19 October
Our Open Evening was busier than ever, with an unprecedented number of prospective parents and students visiting our school. Students were exemplary ambassadors and guides, our sincere thanks to all that gave their time to help make the evening the success that it undoubtedly was. Each department hosted a room and activities to engage visiting students and give families a feel for our school. Activities and demonstrations included a showcase piece in PE from our gymnasts, marvellous baking (and eating!) of custard creams and brownies and a host of hands-on experiments and explorations in our science department. Thank you to all staff and students for making all our visitors so welcome, all your hard work is very much appreciated.
Student Data. We have a new convenient way for you to access, review and request updates to the student information we hold directly from your phone as well as see key term dates, attendance and other key information. This system will replace the SLG platform.
From 29th of October 2018, you will be able to access our new Parent App via a smartphone, tablet or PC – anytime, anywhere.
What will you find in SIMS Parent App:
- School term, inset dates and contact details available at the click of a button
- Attendance Information
- Access to update your contact details, so we always have the most up-to-date information in case of emergency
- Behaviour Information
- Student Reports
- If you have more than one child at school, you will have access to this information for all your children, from the same app.
Getting started with the SIMS Parent App
- We will be sending you an activation email (to the email address we have on file for you). Simply click on the link from your tablet, PC or smartphone to activate your account.
- You can then login using your normal Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft username and password.
- From your smartphone or tablet, download the app from the Google Play or Apple App store - search for SIMS Parent.
- From a PC or Windows phone, login online at www.sims-parent.co.uk
What a wonderful array of special lessons and celebrations to mark our 60th anniversary! Staff embraced the 50’s with special themed lessons and in some cases, hairstyles too! Students enjoyed practical lessons including learning to dance the ‘jive’ in music, bake cheese straws to a 50’s recipe in food tech and embroidery techniques and stitches in textiles. The Science department explored great discoveries and inventions of the 50s, and in particular the discovery of DNA – including a debate on whether the only female of the group, Rosalind Franklin should have been awarded the Nobel Prize posthumously (unfortunately she had already died when the men received the award for the groups work). On Saturday we invited former staff and students to visit the school to join us to share stories and cake plus have a tour of the school buildings.
Pictured, Mrs Diane Connell cutting the cake with Mrs Sue Hunt and former staff and students (including Mrs Lorna Atkins, a former student who is now our teacher of mathematics)
Y9 students with their 50’s style embroidery lesson